Saturday, December 5, 2009

Danny Green king of the world after Roy Jones Jr fight


BOXING champ Danny Green is looking to add more art to his already heavily inked body to celebrate his remarkable underdog win against Roy Jones Jr.

The International Boxing Organisation cruiserweight champion spent his first day back in WA yesterday relaxing with his family.

Picture Gallery: Danny Green's wonderful week

But on Wednesday, the hysteria following his win against Jones will start again when the City of Perth holds a public celebration in his honour.

Jones -- one of the greatest fighters in boxing history -- lasted just 122 seconds of the first round before succumbing to a merciless barrage of blows from the Green Machine.

Green, 36, told The Sunday Times his friends were encouraging him to commemorate the win with a fresh tattoo.

``The boys want me to get one,'' he said.

``I haven't started thinking about what the tattoo could be.

``I've got a bloke I go to for tattoos, but I'll keep his name quiet. He's so busy, he doesn't need extra business.''

Green's upper body is covered in tattoos, including the handprints of his two children, his surname, the Olympic torch and an image of his fist breaking through a brick wall.

Green said he was still pinching himself after his win against Jones Jr.

``To achieve that in such devastating fashion in Australia was out of this world,'' he said.

``It's been a dream come true to cement my name in boxing legacy.''

The public will get a chance to celebrate with Green on Wednesday.

``(Lord Mayor) Lisa Scaffidi and the Perth City Council have invited me to Forrest Chase at 12.30pm to give me a chance to say thank you to everyone,'' Green said.

``It's a lovely gesture and a great way to show my appreciation to the fans.''

THE TATTOOS AND WHAT THEY MEAN

INITIALS, CARDS WITH THE NUMBER 3 AND DICE:
``This was my first tattoo. I got it when I was 20-years-old,'' Danny Green said.
``I wanted a tattoo that was significant so I created the design myself.''
The tattoo has Green's initials surrounded by a circle of cards all showing the number three.
``It's an endless deck of cards with the number three because I'm superstitious about that number,'' Green said.
``I put the cards around my initials so they could be my superstitious protection.
``The dice symbolise taking chances like I did the other night against Roy Jones Jnr. Life's a gamble.''

OLYMPIC TORCH AND RINGS:
Green became a professional boxer after representing Australia in the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
``I got the leaf of the coat of arms and the Olympic torch to celebrate the 2000 Sydney Olympics,'' Green said.
``It's something I'm obviously very proud of.
``Normally people use the kangaroo and the emu from the coat of arms but I went for the leaf.''

HIS SON, ARCHIE:
Green is an extremely proud father. He has tattoos of his two children's faces and handprints.
``I woke Archie up one morning before I went to the tattoo shop to get it down,'' he said.
``He had never woken up with hands covered in paint before.
``He was painting at 7am so he was very happy.''

CHLOE:
``I did Chloe's handprint in lollipop colours because she's my little girl,'' Green said.
``She's on my arm so she stays close to my heart while I'm away.''

SURNAME:
Green is incredibly proud of his heritage. This tattoo is by far his largest and reminds him of who he is despite the hysteria that might sometimes surround him.

FIST THROUGH BRICKWALL:
To succeed in boxing you need to believe you can do anything, even punch through brickwalls.
``This tattoo represents blood, sweat and tears which is what I've been through in my boxing career,'' Green said.
``I've busted walls down by just being strong and positive and working like a demon.''

No comments:

Post a Comment